Wednesday 7 May 2014

Hubbard or Gattegno

I've recently been reading up on the silent way for another post and it has inspired this post, which is a trivial game.  The rules are simple. Read the statements below and decide if they were said by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard or Silent way founder Caleb Gattegno. Scroll down for the answers.



1. "
Consciousness . . . is present in every cell and in every amount of energy in the soma’"

2. "A misunderstood word will remain misunderstood until one clears the meaning of the word. Once the word is fully understood by the person, it is said to be cleared."

3. "‘Ogden’ is the name we have given to the [amount of] mental energy mobilized to retain an arbitrary sound or an arbitrary connection."

4. "I have been engaged in a study of applications of technology to illiteracy and illiterate or semiliterate populations."

5. "The supporters of mankind could achieve their ends if they could shift to becoming holders of the relativity that generates tolerance of the other, But . . . they do not seem ready to pay the price: abandonment of absolutes passed on from times when awareness was not the concern of people."


6. "An educational program[me] which begins with the child's parents, progresses through kindergarten and grade school, through high school and into college and preserves at every step the individuality, the native ambitions, intelligence, abilities and dynamics of the individual, is the best bastion against not only mediocrity but against any and all enemies of mankind"

7. "I have need of more lives to chisel myself, my quantum, further and [to] make me more myself by making me more human"


8. "Mental energy is simply a finer, higher level of physical energy. The test of this is conclusive in that a thetan "mocking up" (creating) mental image pictures and thrusting them into the body can increase the body mass and by casting them away again can decrease the body mass



 9. "I am an energy system endowed with awareness. Hence I can become aware of the energy inputs I receive and know them for what they are"






Answers

All of the even numbers are Hubbard and the odds are Gattengo. L. Ron Hubbard (1911-1986) started life as a TEFL teacher in Guam whereas Gattegno (1911-1988) started life as a maths teacher. All Gattegno quotes come from Stevick.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever owned a set of Cuisenaire rods? I still have mine. On CTEFLA / CELTA courses at IH London in the 1990s, it was fairly common practice to do a workshop on using the things. As classroom technologies go, they're a lot more practical than a sandpit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my DELTA exp on the silent way. I really wonder about them. I guess they're fun but why exactly do we use them? It's kind of like no one uses the silent way anymore but this small part of it, which came from Gattegno's math's teaching continues to exist. I wonder if we use them because they're there, not because they are actually that useful.

      What i mean is, if these rods didn't exist in EFL would we feel a need to create them?

      Delete